Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Exchange 12 Rocks!



I have to prepare my environment for Exchange 2007. Cool, now I'll have the chance to use PowerShell in a more broad scope. In the research on how to coexist Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 I came up on this Easter egg thing.


When installing Exchange 2007, the setup creates the Exchange Routing Group and the Exchange Administrative Group with some characters strings that looks very odd.







I Googled for it and found two blog posts (see below) . Well, It turns out to be logical. It's a famous Caesar cipher with offset of 1. Both strings shows the same result. The Exchange Routing Group string should be shifted one char up while Exchange Administrative Group's offset is 1 down.



My fingers started to get itchy, so I fired PowerShell and started coding:

[char[]]'FYDIBOHF23SPDLT' | % {$s=''}{$s+=[string][char]([int][char]$_-1)}{$s}
[char[]]'DWBGZMFD01QNBJR' | % {$s=''}{$s+=[string][char]([int][char]$_+1)}{$s}



Run the commands and watch the output. Now, all I have to say is:
MPOH!MJWF!QPXFSTIFMM



Resources:
Jim McBee's Web Log
MSExchange.org

Shay

No comments: